Long-Range Rifle Follow-Up: What Changed After My First Build


A practical update on the bipod, trigger, added weight, and what those changes did at the range


Back in August, I wrote about getting into long-range shooting without turning it into a spending contest. My main argument was simple: fundamentals matter more than an expensive parts list. Since then, I have kept shooting the same rifle, paid attention to what was, and wasn't, working for me, and made three focused changes: I upgraded the bipod, changed the trigger, and added weight to the rifle to help reduce felt recoil.



The Bipod Upgrade



Illustration of a lightweight ARCA-interface bipod.



The original bipod was enough to get started, but continued use made its limitations easier to notice. I replaced it with a WARNE 7912M Lite Bipod with an ARCA interface. Its main structure is machined from aircraft-grade 7075 aluminum, with steel used for selected components. The aluminum keeps the bipod relatively light while providing the rigidity needed for a stable support, and the steel parts add strength in higher-stress areas. A matte-black hard-coat anodized finish improves surface durability and corrosion resistance without adding unnecessary bulk. I chose the ARCA version because its clamp can be repositioned quickly along the rifle’s fore-end rail. Moving the bipod farther forward creates a longer support base, which can reduce how much small movements at the rear of the rifle shift the muzzle and can make a prone or bench position feel steadier. Sliding it rearward can be useful when space is limited or when I need a more compact setup. This changes the rifle’s support point and balance around that support; it does not, by itself, raise the rifle or its center of gravity. Aim height is primarily adjusted through the bipod’s leg height, while the ARCA interface lets me choose where that support sits along the rifle. In practice, the upgraded bipod gives me a more solid, repeatable position and makes it easier to settle the rifle without fighting the support. The biggest improvement is not that it magically makes shots more accurate; it removes some of the small inconsistencies that can distract from building a good position and executing the shot.


My experience: My previous bipod was a relatively inexpensive model, and after four or five shots I often had to retighten it to control the side-to-side movement. That was the downside of choosing a bargain product. The WARNE is noticeably better made and held its position throughout my entire range session; I did not have to tighten or readjust anything. I am always interested in getting a good deal, but not when it comes at the expense of the shooting experience or consistent groupings. Compared with many other ARCA-compatible models, the WARNE is reasonably priced. Current listings generally place it around $230, with an MSRP near $285, so describing the normal range as roughly $220 to $300 is fair. For the build quality and stability I experienced, I do not consider it especially expensive.


What the available data says: Published, controlled studies that assign a precise group-size improvement to a particular bipod are limited, so I would not claim that this model produces a guaranteed percentage gain in accuracy. The better-supported benefit is mechanical consistency. A rigid two-point front support carries the rifle’s forward weight, reduces the muscular effort and natural movement required to hold it on target, and helps establish the same height and angle from shot to shot. Positioning the bipod farther forward lengthens the support base between the bipod and the shooter, so small movements at the rear generally create less angular movement at the muzzle. At long distance, where even a small angular error grows into a larger displacement on the target, that reduction in movement becomes increasingly valuable. A solid bipod also helps the rifle track more predictably through recoil, making it easier to maintain the sight picture, observe the result, and return to a repeatable position. These advantages support consistency, but they still depend on a firm mounting point, stable ground contact, proper setup, and sound shooting fundamentals.



The Trigger Upgrade



Illustration of a single-stage precision trigger assembly.



The trigger change was about consistency and feel. I went with a TriggerTech Primary Single Stage Trigger, a model designed for compatible Remington 700-pattern rifles. Its general specifications include a single-stage action, an adjustable pull-weight range of approximately 1.5 to 4.0 pounds, TriggerTech’s Zero Creep Technology, and extremely short overtravel. It is available with curved or flat trigger levers; I went with the flat, and in configurations with or without a bolt release. The housing is anodized 7075 aluminum, while key internal components are hardened 440C stainless steel for corrosion resistance and service life. A cleaner, more predictable break helps me concentrate on sight picture and follow-through rather than wondering exactly when the shot will release. It does not replace good trigger control, but it makes poor input easier to recognize. I had the work completed and checked with safety and reliability as the priority, and I verified proper function before returning to normal range use.


My experience: I set the trigger to an average pull of about 1.8 pounds, and what a difference it made. The pull felt just right for me: light and predictable, with no noticeable creep before the break. That let me concentrate much more on my breathing, sight picture, and a smooth trigger press instead of anticipating extra movement in the trigger. I cannot say that it immediately made me more accurate (it did not). What it did do was help me execute each shot more consistently, and that contributed to more consistent groupings over time. Pricing varies by lever, finish, bolt-release configuration, and retailer, but current listings for the TriggerTech Primary Single Stage for Remington 700-pattern rifles are generally around $175 to $185. For the improvement in feel and consistency, I consider that a great price point.


What the available data says: The usual argument for a lighter trigger is mechanical: requiring less finger force may reduce the chance of disturbing sight alignment during the trigger press, an effect that becomes more visible as distance magnifies small angular errors. However, direct research is limited. In a small Mountain Tactical Institute study, 10 experienced SWAT officers compared stock AR-style triggers of roughly 7.5–9.5 pounds with lighter triggers around 4.5–5.5 pounds at 15, 50, and 100 yards. The lighter-trigger group improved more in both 50-yard tests and in the stressed 100-yard test, while the stock-trigger group did better in the non-stressed 100-yard test. The differences were not statistically significant because of the small sample and wide individual variation. My takeaway is that a lighter, clean, repeatable break can make precise trigger control easier, but it is not a guaranteed accuracy gain; consistency, minimal creep and overtravel, shooter technique, and a pull weight appropriate for the rifle’s use matter at least as much. An excessively light setting can also reduce the margin for handling error, so safety and reliable function remain the priority.



Adding Weight to Tame Recoil



Illustration of a two-piece M-LOK external forend-weight set with mounting hardware.



I chose the MDT weights because my Remington 700 is mounted in an MDT chassis, making them a natural fit for the existing M-LOK system. I used the MDT Forend Weights M-LOK Gen 3 two-pack (model 107636-BLK). The pair is made from case-hardened 1018 steel with a black nitride finish. Each weight adds 0.35 pounds, for 0.70 pounds total. They fit M-LOK-compatible chassis and stocks, require two M-LOK slots per weight, and use standard hardware and M-LOK T-nuts. Because the weights mount externally, they can be positioned along available slots to help tune the rifle’s balance and can be removed if the setup changes. 


My experience: Adding the MDT weights produced an immediately noticeable reduction in felt recoil. The two weights add only 0.70 pounds in total, but that small increase made a meaningful difference when firing. The rifle moved less through the shot, and I was able to keep the target in view after every shot. That made it easier to maintain my sight picture, observe the result, and prepare for the next shot without rebuilding my position from scratch. I also found the weights very easy to mount on the existing M-LOK slots. Although the rifle is slightly heavier, the additional 0.70 pounds has not made a significant difference when I handle it. At about $60 for the pair, I think they offer a noticeable improvement in recoil control at a reasonable price.


What the available data says: The physics behind added rifle weight is straightforward. Under the conservation-of-momentum model used in standard free-recoil calculations, the ammunition produces essentially the same rearward momentum, but a heavier rifle accelerates more slowly. For the same load, calculated recoil velocity falls in direct proportion to total rifle weight, while free-recoil energy falls approximately in inverse proportion to rifle weight. That means adding 0.70 pounds will produce a real but setup-dependent reduction: the exact percentage depends on the rifle’s complete starting weight and the ammunition being fired. Because these MDT weights sit on the forend, they also move the balance point forward and increase resistance to muzzle rise, which can help the rifle track more steadily and preserve the sight picture. Published demonstrations of weighted precision-rifle systems show less movement as mass is added, but perceived recoil also depends on stock fit, shooting position, support, recoil pad, muzzle device, and technique. For that reason, the weights should be viewed as a predictable aid to recoil control and balance rather than a guaranteed improvement in accuracy.



What Changed at the Range


Together, the upgrades have made the rifle easier and more comfortable to shoot consistently. The bipod improves the foundation, the trigger gives clearer feedback, and the extra weight reduces how much the rifle moves under recoil. None of these changes replaced practice. What they did was make my practice more productive by reducing distractions and making mistakes easier to identify.



The Lesson 


My August conclusion still holds: buy equipment in response to a problem you can actually describe. I did not change parts because a product page promised better performance. I changed them after repeated range sessions showed me where the setup was getting in my way. That slower approach gave each upgrade a purpose and made the results easier to judge.


Safety Note: Any firearm component change should be completed or inspected by a qualified professional when appropriate, followed by the manufacturer’s recommended safety and function checks. Always follow range rules and the basic rules of firearm safety.



The Bottom Line


The rifle is now heavier, steadier, and more comfortable to shoot than it was in August—but the most important improvement is that I understand my setup better. The bipod, trigger, and forend weights each solved a problem I had identified at the range. They made the rifle easier to manage and my practice more productive, but they did not create accuracy on their own. Consistency still comes from breathing, sight alignment, trigger control, follow-through, and time behind the rifle. I value advice from skilled, experienced shooters, but every setup and shooter is different; in the end, I have to test the options and decide what works for me. I still have plenty to learn. A suppressor is the final upgrade I have planned to further reduce recoil, but the next meaningful improvement will not come from another part—it will come from polishing my technique with the rifle I have now. Better equipment can remove obstacles. Better shooting still has to be earned.




This is me qualifying my rifle at 100 yards before the upgrades.



See you on the line.

- Ascension Armory



Ready to gear up? Visit our online store for shotguns, ammunition,
eye & ear protection, and accessories to get you started.


SHOP ASCENSION ARMORY




If you enjoyed this article, be sure to leave us a comment. Also, follow us on our social media accounts and share it with others… and don't forget to visit our shop online at: www.ascensionarmory.net




Sources

  • Warne Scope Mounts. “7912M Skyline Lite Bipod, ARCA Interface.” Manufacturer product specifications for construction, ARCA repositioning, adjustment range, cant range, and intended use. Accessed September 8, 2026.
  • OpticsPlanet. “Warne Skyline ARCA Lite Bipod.” Product specifications and current retail/list pricing. Accessed September 8, 2026.
  • TriggerTech. “Remington 700 Single-Stage Trigger (Primary).” Manufacturer specifications for pull-weight range, Zero Creep Technology, lever and bolt-release options, materials, and current base price. Accessed September 8, 2026.
  • Mountain Tactical Institute. “The Effects of Trigger Pull Weight on Marksmanship” and study summary. Ten-person SWAT officer comparison of stock and lighter triggers at 15, 50, and 100 yards. Published 2015–2016; accessed September 8, 2026.
  • MDT. “M-LOK Exterior Forend Weights (Pair).” Manufacturer specifications for weight, material, compatibility, mounting, balance tuning, recoil-control claims, and current price. Accessed September 8, 2026.
  • Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute. “Gun Recoil—Technical” and “Recoil Formulae.” Conservation-of-momentum and free-recoil-energy formulas; revised July 9, 2018. Accessed September 8, 2026. 




All articles posted on The Armory Journal are intended for general information purposes only and are not a substitute for hands-on instruction. Always follow the four basic rules of firearm safety, follow your range's rules, and consider engaging with a certified instructor before learning any disciplines new to you. Prices cited are approximate and will vary by retailer and market conditions [and date of article posting]. Technical information and comparative analysis were compiled from industry training organizations, firearms instructors, and published firearm-reference sources.

Comments